Sunday, August 17, 2008

Fund Raising

Sometimes I donate a piece of artwork to help local organizations raise money. They depend on their fundraising for the money they need to provide services to their communities. Our town library holds a benefit event at the Wren's Nest restaurant each year. This year some lucky participants will win: $50 worth of gasoline, a golf outing for two, a basket of wine or one of my paintings. (There are still a few tickets available - the event is Aug. 24th!) Below are some of the steps to make a possible prize.
After starting with yellow oxide and then a layer of cadmium orange and red mixed, I finished with a layer of burnt umber mixed with pthalo blue.
The final step is the framing. Because store-bought frames can be expensive, I usually make "slat" frames for my work.
Below is another new painting that could be given away at the library benefit. Alice Gotchall, who has been instrumental in the planning of the event each year, will choose one of my works to be given away.
Here are two examples of my work in commercial frames.
Commercial frames become can be quite expensive - especially larger ones. So below is an example of a larger painting with "slats" and a smaller painting in a frame.

No comments: