Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Time to build a frame

To begin framing a piece, I first build a wooden frame for the back of the panel. That is necessary for two reasons: The masonite panel is 1/4" thick and the frame makes it sturdier. The frame gives me a surface to nail the slats onto the artwork:Here are some slats that have had the inside painted - the side next to the panel's edge. I generally use off-white, semi-gloss latex: The slats are 1 5/8" deep. The wire to hold the painting to the wall is in the space betweeen the back of the panel and the bottom edge of the slat: This new three-panel painting didn't quite work out the way I planned. For the second color layer on the middle piece, I used more red. As things turned out, it is quite a bit more red than the two outside panels. I plan to add a little red to them:

No comments: