Monday, January 28, 2008

Pressed plants

Years ago I began experimenting with pressed plants. As a requirement for a summer college course, I gathered plants and pressed them in a simple, handmade press. I started spray painting the plants so that they would become strong, dark images in my paintings. The actual plant is pressed into the plaster: The letters in the following work stand for Nate, Lindsay and Corey (my son, daughter-in-law and grandson): I was unable to identify this plant and so it remains unnamed. These panels are 11" wide and 16" tall: Queen Anne's Lace make a sunburst pattern when pressed: I passed the course, but I am unable to name many local plants now:

2 comments:

Pat R said...

pressing flowers can be useful for romantic purposes (mel gibson in braveheart did it)

Unknown said...

It is interesting how many variations on your technique you've come up with. Maybe the nameless plant could be the "Tree of Life".