Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Fine Arts & Wine

During my last years of teaching, I decided to try being a vendor at art shows. I was juried into a wonderful summer show at Dr. Frank's winery on Keuka Lake (one of the finger lakes of New York). My wife loved the wine and my work was received very well. Meanwhile Marna Wirth, a friend of mine, had collected many wine labels on wine tours. She asked me to make something with them. The following series was born. I then had paintings especially for that annual Fine Arts & Wine show. Unfortunately the show has ceased to exist after a seven year run.
Yes, actual labels are used in the making of these paintings. The paintings are 16 inches wide and 12 inches high.
Joe Serphillips, who works at Dr. Frank's, kindly keeps me supplied with labels.
I highly recommend the wine. Check out the winery either online or go to one of their daily tastings.

1 comment:

SKDeal said...

Hi Paul - I'm so glad to see you're still making textured art using wine labels. My husband Drew and I met you & your artwork at Dr Frank's winery during the Art & Wine Fest a few years ago. We purchased a piece done in purple tones with Salmon Run labels. It hangs over our wine rack. Everyone comments on what a fantastic piece it is!
I ran across your business card the other day and decided to look you up on the web. It's great to see you are still making artwork!
~Steph